Sunday 5 December 2010

Maybe I'm becoming a twitcher

There is some excitement round here.

You might not think that living on a small island with no roads, no way off after midnight, and nothing particularly to do in the evenings is exciting, but it is.

For a start, I bet if you tried, you would quite enjoy just leaving the house and wandering around, like I do. Sometimes I do this for the heck of it, and I don't even have any laundry to collect or tins of baked beans to look at in the local shops.

You could set off, like I do, in any direction. You could look for snails and papaya trees and snakes and bugs. You could walk the fifteen minutes to the beach and stare into rock pools and point at crabs. Sometimes I go to the shore and look out to sea, then muse whether anything lives in it or whether the Chinese already ate it.

On the way back, you can walk through jungly bits and by fan palms, search for creepy crawlies and tree spiders, and wonder about the impossibly permanently flowering red bush that looks to me like camellia. You could do all that and you wouldn't have even got to the exciting bit.

It is this.

I think the photos of the gentleman taking a bath are especially thrilling.

Well, I did say I am living on a small island with no roads and no way off after midnight and nothing particularly to do in the evenings. I have to take my pleasures where I can find them.