Sunday 17 July 2011

The Festival of History

Wherever we are in the world, on this weekend we have to be north of Northampton for this. Find me there next year, 2012. The event is an essential part of my annual experience. It is about as perfect an English day out as you can get.

See?


It is fantastically English and I love it. There is a lot of dressing up, sitting down, arguing with Squirrel about the lemon curd or the strawberry jam, then there is queuing in the rain, fussing, drinking warm beer, spilling cups of tea, and making observations about bottoms, cod pieces and the weather.


With a bit of Richard III thrown in.


And some medievals. Plague, probably.


And at the end of the day, with the griblets clutching their treasure (signed copy of Michelle Paver's Wolf or something) and me clutching mine (Lemon curd), we can go happy home. For today, we have seen history.

5 comments:

Irene said...

That sounds like an awful lot of fun. I'm glad you got to go. I'm sure I, as a Dutch woman, would have been very appreciative too. That's better than the Renaissance Fair, I think. It sounds very rousing.

sharon said...

What's not to love? We remember those days fondly too ;-)

Kelly said...

So jealous.

peapod said...

I love this event! It always amuses me seeing a mix of Vikings, Tudors, WWII etc queueing up for the porta-loos!

Grit said...

thank you for your comments people! Shackleton wasn't there this year, was he? i didn't see him. But the pirates seem to be growing in number. and it would be great to see more native american indians, ottoman turks, bengal lancers...