Wednesday 28 September 2011

Seeing is believing

I laughed.

Admittedly, it was hollow. Because before we set off walking over the hills to a far-flung birthday party, I flicked into Internet Land. It doesn't change, does it? So I see home educated children are 'not seen'. No, not ever!

I thought, I see them everywhere. I can't go to the ruddy toilet without a home ed kid barging in. You should open your eyes.

But I'm helpful! I could make it true, nearly, if I tried.

And if I exempted this morning's shopkeepers, passers by, and the old man by the cart selling the marrows and death lilies in Lamma Island mainstreet.

But if I say, 'Today my children have not been seen by a local authority contact in England', then Yes! That is true! They'd need damn good vision to clap eyes on us today, on our island south of China.

Here we are, walking a mountain track that leads round to a fishing village and on, scalloping the bays, up over the hill, and down the steps to the shore. It takes two strong walking hours to reach our destination.

A small community, two dozen people. Not much else. No shops. One jetty, one bar. About as close to Robinson Crusoe as I'd ever like to live. Even here I'd have to exclude thirteen home ed kids, plus their parents.

But on the way, we weren't seen, unless you count these workmen doing something with a storm drain, and they weren't interested.


But to reassure the unhappy commenter, who thought that home educated children might never be seen again, then here's a photograph of the party. Or rather the cake that we enjoyed in celebration of the birthday boy.


And here's a snap of three party goers! Looking glum, thanks to being made to walk another 45 minutes back over the hill to catch a local ferry.


But I wouldn't want that concerned commenter to imagine now that home education (even if it's visible in the South China Sea) is all mountain hike, beach fun, and party games!

No. We have to be serious. This is an educational blog. I'll set a challenge to help us learn. We'd like to find out what this spider is. We saw it. On our two hour hike to a semi deserted tropical house with a beach.


Shut up about the photo. It's about 4-6 cm long, and arranges its legs in a X (no kissing). It spins a curious web, constructed with concertinaed white silk, also in a X (absolutely no kissing).

What is it?

You could occupy your mind, commentator, with that, rather than wondering whether today we have been seen.

No comments: