Monday 26 March 2012

Clay cake, ancient civilization, maps, etc

Terrible news, my dear sympathetic reader.

Dig has taken steps to extract the ipad of heaven from my bent and twisted claws.

I know! I am bereft. GRIEF STRICKEN is not too strong a sentiment.

However, I can report that he came off worse in the violence. He never suspected the dustbin lid attack. No! And if I don't get back the ipad of heaven forthwith I shall ambush him with the creosote.

But I suppose he has assisted me through the cruelty he has inflicted. He has reminded me that today I agreed to run a home ed co-op, therefore I must put down the ipad of heaven and pick up Ellen McHenry's Mapping the World through Art.*

Well, while I now plot the return of the ipad of heaven to my winsome arms, feel at home to share what it is to be a home educating parent who has said she will do something.

Here it is.


Cake. All home educating parents know that education = cake and cake = education. They are natural partners in life's endeavours. (A little bit like Grit and her ipad.)


This cake mix makes edible Mesopotamian clay tablets. (I bet I could command all knowledge about Babylon if I had the modern-day equivalent tablet of gorgeousness.)


Spot the cuneiform and tell me this is not learning!

Then there was books, talk, and map drawings. (Alright, I admit, for this bit no-one needed an ipad. Although I think Shark choosing to use a quill pen is pushing the affection for the ancient a little.)


Nice.


If there is an education point, it is that learning is easily achieved if the approach is not conducted as a laboured requirement, involving pain, suffering and misery. Learning comes easy when it is a natural, normal, activity involving play, laughter, games, and cake.

(And not necessarily with an ipad, although one would of course be preferable, if only to quietly stroke in a corner when no-one is looking.)

Satisfying education. I shall now pin up maps (and fetch creosote).


* Yes, fantastic. Buy it.

Look, let's put it like this. I respect very few people in the education world. McHenry is one woman I do respect. She's an excellent educator. She's not interested in leading the kids to pre-determined outcomes. The materials are open-ended, inquiring, and invite exploration. We could free-range with them in a hundred different ways. She's not even paying me to say this. Nope. She charges an extremely modest amount for what is clearly hours of work. And I bet her videos look lovely on an ipad.

1 comment:

Irene said...

The only thing I ever learned about Babylon was that it had hanging gardens and how in the world did they manage to water them? All the theories about that. I'm sure I missed out on a lot more. It's never too late to learn, however. xox