Tuesday 23 October 2012

The Hunger Games? Discuss

To the cinema for The Hunger Games.

What a film! A rom-com roller-coaster! Fun and laughter from the word go! A must-see!

That's what I didn't tell Squirrel to get her in the cinema. With her, I set about managing expectations. I laid it out fair, that this was a film of implied peril, menace and threat, interspersed with death and reality TV. But it would be useful. It will set us thinking hard about the rules by which a society works.

I said it like that, in italics. That was a mistake. But then I compounded the error with my stupid clockwork mouth, by bullet pointing techniques used by a ruling elite to suppress dissent, deflect criticism, disguise naked power and maintain social order.

By the time I got to Foucault and opened that opportunity to explore the fringes of social theory, re conspiracy of mind control and world domination, her eyes had glazed over.

Then I said, Look, I've got the tickets now! There might be dragon in it after all. I'll cook your favourite dinner and open the tinned peaches. And on the plus side, I hear the violence is not all mindless! 

It did no good. I could only bring her to consciousness by promising Madagascar 3.

No surprise, Squirrel was not impressed by The Hunger Games. Shark and Tiger thought it was alright, which I am counting to my side. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and resolved to buy the books as soon as they hit the charity bookshop.

So the upshot is, I fully recommend The Hunger Games for any socially aware 12+ who can discuss the rules of reality TV. But for one that likes stories about dragons? Not so much.

Now I hope there's not an unending set of sequels, so it ends up like the wretched Twilight.

And due thanks to National Schools Film Week, from the bolshy parent wing.

No comments: