Sunday 3 January 2016

Only two to go

Took the grifflesnots to see Branagh Theatre Co's version of Shakespeare's The Winter's Tale, relayed to us shires-dwellers through the most excellent cinema organ.

I think we need to extend our aim - to see all Shakespeare's plays by age 16 - by a subtle twist of language, so that we see all Shakespeare's plays by the end of the 16th year.

We're missing Troilus and Cressida and The Two Noble Kinsmen. The latter I could argue off the list as co-authored, but the former was on at the RSC some time ago, so lay the blame for that oversight at my door.

Whatever. Even with the missing bits, it's been my gift to my offspring. No matter where in the world you are, what human folly you fall into, what spirit you need to revive you, someone has the language to describe your state, and they did it pretty well several hundred years ago. Find yourself a production and go and work it out.

The Winter's Tale? Yes, definitely the best production I've seen. All tears and howls and stupidity and forgiveness. Just like life on any awkward Tuesday.

No comments: